Development OfficerCompany: Wartburg Theological Seminary
Date Posted: January 30, 2018
Position Summary:The Development Officer serves as a member of the Development Team to advance the mission of Wartburg Theological Seminary through the cultivation of constituent relationships and the solicitation ofgenerous gifts from current and prospective donors while also working to build Wartburg Seminary’s baseof donors through new donor acquisition strategies.
• Serve as primary solicitor for up to 75 donors and prospects.
• Lead strategy for digital donor engagementSecondary Responsibilities:
• Lead strategy for increased congregational support
• Donor events
• Staff and faculty giving campaign
• Work closely with the Lead Development Officer and the Vice President for Development insetting goals and strategies for cultivation of assigned donors.
• Develop a work plan for cultivation strategies of assigned donor portfolio of major donors.
• Develop and lead engagement strategy for major donor and student support congregations.
• Develop and lead strategy for online and social media fundraising including management oftechnology related resources needed for effectiveness.
• Work closely with Director of Development and vendors to coordinate e-appeal appeals and messaging.
• Provide written contact reports including summary of visits and next steps for follow-up.
• Staff Wartburg donor gatherings to share Wartburg Theological Seminary’s story with a wider audience and build new potential donor relationships. Partner with volunteer alumni and/or current donors to invite new potential donors to gatherings.
• Represent Wartburg Theological Seminary at synodical assemblies and other church gatherings.
• Assist other institutional staff, as needed, with activities, programs, and events conducted under the auspices of the Development Office.
• Develop and maintain in-depth knowledge of the organization’s mission, programs,activities, and fundraising priorities and be able to articulate needs to prospects persuasively
• Complete monthly, quarterly, and annual reports of activities and outcomes.
• Engage cooperatively and proactively with other team members.
• Perform other related duties as assigned.
• Position is not responsible for supervision of other employees.
Qualifications:Education & Experience:
• BA degree required.
• 3-5 years related experience, prefer background in higher education institution
• Understands and supports the mission of Wartburg Theological Seminary.
• Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and appropriate boundaries.
• Advanced relationship skills for individual personal donor engagement.
• Proficiency in social media marketing and digital platforms
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office and database management background required.
• Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communications skills.
• Self-starter with ability to think and work with little direct supervision.
• Well organized with ability to multi-task and prioritize work.• Ability to work well with others as a team player.
This position has frequent interaction with staff, students, and other Wartburg constituents. This position operates in a professional office environment with limited face-to-face supervision. This position routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers and filing cabinets.Position is salaried with moderate travel required and occasional evening and weekend work necessary.
Physical and Mental Demands:While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk, hear, move around, and work at distances close to the eyes. Arms, hands and fingers will be needed to handle and reach. Employee will occasionally need to lift boxes or materials up to 10 pounds. Concentration and ability to work at one location standing or sitting for long periods of time. Ability to follow written or oral instructions, and ability to solve practical problems with little supervisory involvement.Reasonable accommodation can be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Note: Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.